Vegan Cheese Pie
16 oz (450g) wholemeal flour
8 oz (225g) margarine
Water to mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large leek, sliced
2 onions, chopped fine
1.5 celery stalks, chopped
1 1/4 head of broccoli or 2 smaller ones
1 cup of sweetcorn
1 tsp salt
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp cumin powder
Pinch of black pepper
2 dssps of tomato puree
1 block of vegan cheese, cubed
Enough soya milk to make a paste
1. First make the pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough water to make a dough which is soft, but not sticky. Put it in the fridge covered with cling film and leave for at least 1/2 an hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
3. Fry the leek and onion for a few minutes in the oil. Add the celery and fry until the leek and celery are just cooked (about 10 minutes). Take off the heat.
4. Cut the broccoli into small florets, steam or boil until just cooked. Mix in with the leek mix, adding the drained sweetcorn, salt, parsley, cumin, black pepper, tomato puree and vegan cheese as well. Add enough soya milk to make a paste.
5. Roll out just over half of the pastry to fit a medium-large pie tray. Prick with a fork and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to set the pastry.
6. Place the filling inside the pastry, then roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until the pastry is starting to brown.