Here is a list of contraceptives that do not contain animal ingredients, however they will probably have been tested on animals. This by no means an exhaustive list - please do contact the manufacturer for details if the product you are interested in is not listed here.
Important note: Unless otherwise stated these products are not registered with The Vegan Society: the information was supplied by the manufacturers, who may change the ingredients without informing us. Do check first!
Vegan Society Registered Trademarked products:
· NVS Ltd.: Condoms - All
Other products which the companies have informed us are animal-free (not registered with the Vegan Society):
Latex condoms may contain the milk protein casein. Some also contain milk powder. However the following are free from animal ingredients:
· Boots: Own brand: All
· Condomi: All
· Durex: Non-latex condoms - Avanti, Real Feel, Fetherlite Ultra and Deluxe
· Glyde Health: Latex Condoms; Sheer Glyde Dams.
· Lifestyles: All
· Mates: All; Mates SKYN: All.
· ONE: All except ONE Zero
· Pasante: All latex condoms.
· Safex: All.
· Sir Richard’s Condom Company: All.
· Tesco: Sequre range: All.
· Pfizer: Femulen contains no animal-derived products.
· Janssen-Cilag:Evra contraceptive patches contain no animal-derived products
· Bayer: Noristerat contains no animal-derived products
· Pfizer: Depo. Provera injection contains no animal-derived products.
Many contraceptives are manufactured by major pharmaceutical companies with dubious ethical records, so you may wish to contact the Ethical Consumer for further information on their ethical policies:
Tel: 0161 226 2929 http://www.ethicalconsumer.org