Crème de Menthe Brownies
260g unbleached plain flour
340g evaporated cane juice
75g cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
240ml vegetable oil
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Crème de Menthe Filling
115g butter substitute, at room temperature
280g organic icing sugar
4 tablespoons Crème de Menthe liqueur
180g dairy-free and gluten-free chocolate chips
85g butter substitute
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F./Gas Mark 4 Grease and lightly flour a 23 x 33cm baking tin.
2. First make the brownies. Using a stand mixer, combine the flour, cane juice, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and mix on a medium speed for 1 minute, or until well combined. Pour into the prepared baking tin. Bake for 20–25 minutes, then cool in the tin on a wire rack for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, make Crème de Menthe filling. Using the mixer, beat the butter substitute until smooth. Stop and scrape down the side of the bowl. Add the icing sugar and liqueur and mix for 1 minute. Spread evenly over the cooled brownie cake.
4. To make the Chocolate Ganache, melt the chocolate chips and butter substitute in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until completely melted and pour over the crème de menthe filling. Spread evenly with an offset spatula. Cover with cling film and place in the freezer immediately for about 10 minutes until set.
5. Cut the chilled mixture into brownies with a sharp knife*. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 14 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*For easier cutting, warm the knife under hot water, dry it and cut the brownies. This will also allow the brownies to have clean edges.
Recipe from Sweet Vegan by Emily Mainquist. Published by Kyle Books, priced £14.99. Photography: Penny de los Santos
Sweet Vegan is available from the Vegan Society online shop