Lemony vanilla cupcakes - gluten-free
This recipe makes 12 large cupcakes which are light and have a melty texture. The flax seed can be omitted if you can't get hold of it.
Use organic or unwaxed lemons.
14 floz (400 ml) soya milk
2 teaspoons vinegar
5 floz (150ml) vegetable oil
9 1/2 oz (270g) caster sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 rounded dessertspoons ground flax seed
8 1/2 oz (240g) rice flour
1 oz (30g) soya flour
1 oz (30g) cornflour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175C/350F/Gas4.
2. Line your cupcake tins with 12 large cupcake cases.
3. Place the soya milk, vinegar, oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and flax seed (if using) in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
4. In a seperate bowl measure the flours, xanthan, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Give them a good stir to combine.
5. Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well to combine (whisk if necessary). Do not overmix, stop as soon as the mixture looks evenly combined.
6. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Usually the cupcakes need turning halfway through baking time, but if your oven bakes super-evenly, there is no need. if you turn them, do it as quickly as possible so that the oven door is not open for too long.
Omit lemon zest.
Just use 1/2 tsp vanilla or if preferred, omit it completely.
Recipe by Fairfoods www.fairfoods.org.uk