Vanilla Sponge Cake
7 oz (200g) self raising flour
3 level tsp baking powder
4 oz (115g) sugar
4 1/2 fl oz (125 ml) vegetable oil
11 1/2 fl oz (325 ml) cold water
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 oz (85g) vegan margarine
6 oz (170g) icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Divide the mixture between two well greased round tins.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick
inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool.
4. Make the filling by mashing all the filling ingredients together.
5. Use some of this to sandwich the cakes together and the rest to decorate the top.
6. Alternatively sandwich together with jam and dust the top with icing.