Wild Mushroom and Creamy Spinach Filo Tartlet
12 squares of filo pastry, approximately 12cm x 12cm each
Olive oil for brushing the filo
1 oz (25g) vegan margarine
4 oz (100g) red onion, finely chopped
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
3 1/2 oz (100g) wild mushrooms, medium sliced
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
7 oz (200g) soya cream
7 oz (200g) baby leaf spinach
1. Brush the top of each of the filo squares lightly with olive oil.
2. For each tartlet, arrange three squares (oil side up) in a greased, individual tartlet tin (approx 9cm diameter), with each layer rotated compared to the previous one, so the corners are offset, creating a star shape.
3. Bake the filo cases at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Place the vegan margarine into a saucepan and melt over a low heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 2-3 minutes without colouring. Stir in the cayenne pepper.
5. Add the mushrooms and put the lid on the pan. Cook gently for a further 3-5 minutes.
6. Stir in the nutmeg, soya cream and spinach. Cook covered, over a gentle heat, for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and tender and the soya cream has reduced slightly.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tartlet cases, and serve. Serves 4