Red Pepper, Courgette and 'Bacon' Mini-Quiche
12 oz (340g) plain wholemeal flour
6 oz (170g) margarine
Cold water to bind
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 medium courgettes, chopped small
2 medium red peppers, chopped small
1 lb (450g) tofu
1/2 pkt Redwoods cheatin bacon, chopped small - optional
1 level dssp mixed herbs
1 1/2 dssp tomato puree
1 level tsp salt
Generous pinch black pepper and ginger
1 pack of vegan cheese
Enough soya milk to make a paste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
2. First make the pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough water to make a dough which is soft, but not sticky. If possible place in a plastic bag in the fridge for half an hour.
3. Roll out the pastry and use a cutter (about 2.75 inch) to cut the pastry into rounds. Place them all onto bun trays.
4. Now make the filling: fry the onions for a few minutes then add the courgettes and red pepper. Fry until they begin to soften.
5. Cube the tofu and chop the cheatin bacon into bits. Add the tofu, cheatin bacon, herbs, tomato puree and condiments and fry a bit longer.
7. Take off the heat and add the cheese and enough soya milk to make a paste.
8. Place about a heaped teaspoon into each mini-quiche and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Makes about 50 delicious mini-quiches.