1 cup basmati rice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups good, salted stock
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
2 green cardamom pods
1 small cassia stick
1 small carrot, thinly sliced
4 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 handful shelled peas
1 handful cashew nuts
Juice of half a lemon
1. Thoroughly rinse the rice and leave in a sieve to drain for half an hour.
2. Meanwhile, over medium to high heat saute the onion with the oil in a sturdy pot with a tight fitting lid. When brown add the rice and stir gently until all the grains are glistening with a thin coating of oil.
3. Then add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil, place a tea cloth between the sauce pan rim and lid to ensure no steam whatsoever escapes, check the lid is firmly on, and turn down to the lowest possible temperature.
4. Leave to cook over this low heat for 25 minutes, turn off heat and then allow to stand for 5 minutes. Remove the tea towel and lid.
5. If the rice is still slightly sticky leave to stand with the lid off for a further 5 minutes. Serves 2.
Not all ready-ground spices are gluten-free as they may have been mixed with flour to stop the spices from clumping. If you are concerned contact the relevant company to confirm, or grind your own spices.