Butter Beans and Mushrooms in White Wine Sauce
8 oz (225g) butter beans, soaked overnight
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed - optional
10 oz (285g) mushrooms, washed and sliced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 oz (45g) margarine
1 1/2 oz (45g) flour
3/4 pint (425ml) soya milk
1/4 pint (140ml) vegan white wine
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp grain mustard
Black pepper and salt to taste
1. Bring some water to the boil and simmer beans for approximately 45 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry onion and garlic until golden brown. Add mushrooms, cayenne pepper and paprika to pan. Continue frying for a few minutes more and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan melt the margarine and stir in the flour to make a roux. Remove from the heat. Gradually add a little of the soya milk to make a smooth paste.
4. Over a moderate heat whisk in the rest of the soya milk and white wine, then stir in the parsley and mustard. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Then add the bean mixture and additional soya milk if required. Season to taste and stir well.
5. Serve hot over pasta or brown rice, with a side salad. Serves 4.