8 oz (225g) wholemeal flour
Good pinch of salt
4 oz (115g) very cold vegan margarine
Approx. 2 tablespoon cold water
1 lb (450g) fresh spinach, washed and shredded
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 oz (115g) mushrooms, sliced
12 oz (340g) tofu, pressed to remove excess water
1/2 tbsp dried dill, or to taste
Seasoning to taste
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
Start with the pastry: sift together flour and salt. Use finger tips to
rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add just
enough cold water to bind it to a dough, then wrap in cling film and
leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the spinach gently in a saucepan in a minimum of water, or preferably steam it, until just soft.
3. Heat the oil and fry the onion until it begins to soften, then add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes more.
4. Either mash the tofu, or blend it to make a thick puree. Add dill,
plenty of finely chopped parsley and seasoning. Stir in the mushroom
mixture and spinach.
5. On a floured board roll out the pastry,
then use it to line a medium-sized flan dish (or ring standing on a
baking sheet). Pour in the tofu, spinach and mushroom mixture, smooth
the top and sprinkle with seeds.
6. Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for about half an hour, or until the pastry is crisp. Serve hot. Serves 4.