Vegan Trademark holder 'Absolute Treats' take UK cupcake crown
The UK National Cupcake Champion of 2011 is a Lime and Coconut vegan cupcake from Absolute Treats. Jennifer Buls and Virginia Buls set up their business Absolute Treats just last year. Absolute Treats are registered with the Vegan Trademark scheme, which helps shoppers quickly identify vegan-friendly products.
Jennifer says, "I've always loved cakes. I'm a vegetarian and I have an allergy to dairy. So I was determined to make a vegan cupcake that tasted just as good as any other. Absolute Treats is home-based at the moment, but we supply some outlets across the West Wales area."
British Baker acting editor Andrew Williams said: "Jennifer's cake was probably the least assuming cupcake on show, with understated decoration, but it was head and shoulders above the rest on the most important critera: taste. Her victory is all the more remarkable given that it's a vegan cake, using no butter or eggs."
Absolute Treats beat 55 competitors - ranging from craft bakeries to High Street chains - to take the National Cupcake Champion crown. They also won Best Free-from of the Year Cupcake, Best Tasting Cupcake of the Year. Just about anyone can enjoy delicious vegan cakes, which can be made in every style without needing any butter, eggs, cream nor anything else taken from animals. Professional caterers and home cooks can find out more from the Vegan Catering for All project: http://www.vegansociety.com/caterers/vcfa/
MEDIA CONTACT: Amanda Baker - 07847 664 793 - 0121 523 1737 - firstname.lastname@example.org - www.vegansociety.com
Notes for Editors
- Absolute Treats is a family-run business based in Carmarthenshire in Wales - see: http://www.absolutetreats.co.uk/ for more information.
- The Vegan Trademark is the authentic international symbol of animal-free products and services, as registered with The Vegan Society - see: http://www.vegansociety.com/businesses/trademark/ for full information.
- The Vegan Society promotes vegan lifestyles - which exclude, as far as is possible and practical, all forms of exploitation of animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. Reg. Charity No 279228 VAT Reg. No 448 5973 95, Company Reg. No 1468880 Registered in England & Wales.
- World Vegan Day is the First of November each year, launching World Vegan Month with runs throughout November each year - see : http://www.vegansociety.com/News-And-Events/world-vegan-day/ for information.
- The National Cupcake Championships are staged by British Baker magazine in the run up to National Cupcake Week (12-18 September) - see http://www.nationalcupcakeweek.co.uk/ for more information.