Delicious and warming, this dessert is great straight from the oven with vegan custard, cream or ice cream.
- 1 lb (445g) cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz (115g) vegan margarine
- 4 oz (115g) raw cane sugar
- 4 oz (115g) sultanas
- 2 oz candied peel
- 2 level teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbs boiling water
- 8 oz (225g) wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground allspice
1. Cook the apples in the minimum of water. When they are soft, mash to a puree and drain very well.
2. Cream together the margarine and the sugar, then add the apple purée to make a thick mixture. Stir in the fruit.
3. Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add this to the mix. Sift together the flour and spices and mix in.
4. Pour it into a very well greased cake tin, smooth the top and bake at 350ºF/180ºC/Gas Mark 4 for 45 mins to an hour.