- Vegan margarine, for greasing
- 300g / 10 1/2 oz plain flour
- 50g / 1 3/4 oz cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g / 10 1/2 oz granulated sugar
- 375 ml/13 fl oz soya milk
- 125 ml/4 fl oz rapeseed oil
- 7 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
- 40ml / 1 1/2 fl oz soya milk
- 85g / 3 oz vegan dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 60g / 2 1/4 oz icing sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Fresh raspberries, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23cm/9 inch cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt and sugar. Pour the soya milk into a medium saucepan and add the oil, raspberry jam and vanilla extract. Place over a medium heat and whisk to combine. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- To make the icing, heat the soya milk in a small saucepan until boiling, then stir in the chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat and whisk in the icing sugar and maple syrup. Set aside to cool before icing the cake. Top with a few fresh raspberries.
Recipe from Vegan: 100 Everyday Recipes, part of Parragon's range of Love Food cookbooks.