Gluten free and vegan? Yes, you CAN still have cake. Hurrah! This recipe makes 12 large cupcakes that are light with a melty texture. The flax seed can be omitted if you can't obtain it.
- 14 fl oz / 400 ml soya milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 5 fl oz / 150 ml vegetable oil
- 9 1/2 oz / 270g caster sugar
- 3 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (use organic or unwaxed lemons)
- 2 rounded dessertspoons ground flax seed
- 8 1/2 oz / 240 g rice flour
- 1 oz / 30 g soya flour
- 1 oz / 30 g cornflour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C/350F/Gas4.
- Line your cupcake tins with 12 large cupcake cases.
- Place the soya milk, vinegar, oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and flax seed (if using) in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl measure the flours, xanthan, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Give them a good stir to combine.
- Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well to combine (whisk if necessary). Do not overmix, stop as soon as the mixture looks evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Usually the cupcakes need turning halfway through baking time, but if your oven bakes super-evenly, there is no need. If you turn them, do it as quickly as possible so that the oven door is not open for too long.
Omit lemon zest.
Just use 1/2 tsp vanilla or, if preferred, omit it completely.
Recipe by Fairfoods.