Watercress: an under-rated and exciting plant to cook with.
1.5-2kg of potatoes
200-220g of watercress
1 medium onion
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cut and fry the onion with some oil in a large pan for five minutes, stirring regularly. Peel and slice the potatoes into small chunks, and add them to the onion for a further 5 - 10minutes. Boil a kettle and pour the hot water over the potatoes and onions until it is just covering them. Bring to the boil and then simmer for a further 15 - 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Once they are soft, add the watercress, pepper and salt, and blend them all together. Serve with fresh bread.
Alternative recipe - try them both, see which you prefer.
- 2 oz / 55g vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bunches of watercress
- 4 oz / 115g plain flour
- 1 1/2 pt / 855ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 pt / 285ml soya milk
- 1/4 pt / 140ml soya cream
- Melt margarine in pan. Fry onion and watercress for a few minutes.
- Add flour. Stir well. Remove from heat.
- Stir in stock and milk gradually then return to heat and stir until soup thickens.
- Season and serve with a swirl of soya cream.