The perfect partner for brandy 'butter'. Make sure you leave some room for this after your Christmas lunch!
- 7 oz / 200g vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g breadcrumbs
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g prunes, chopped
- 10 1/2 oz / 300g mixture of currants, sultanas & raisins
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 cooking apple, grated finely
- 1 medium carrot, grated finely
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp sherry
- Cream the margarine and treacle together.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well to a soft dropping consistency.
- Grease a basin well and fill with the mixture leaving about 2 1/2 cm free from the top to allow for rising. Cover with greaseproof paper and aluminium foil and secure with string.Place in a saucepan and pour in boiling water halfway up the sides of the basin. Simmer gently for 5 hours, topping up the water as necessary.
- Once cooked the pudding can be kept cold until needed. Steam for a further 2 hours before serving.