A deliciously decadent start to any special occasion meal.
- 12 oz / 340g aparagus
- 2 dssp rapeseed or other vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 oz / 55g carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 oz / 55g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pint / 430-530 ml water
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 2 oz / 55g frozen peas
- 5 fl oz / 140 ml soya milk
- 4+ slices bread
- Remove any woody parts from the asparagus and chop.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and carrot until the onion is softened. Stir in the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the asparagus, mushrooms, water, marmite and bouillon. Ensure all the vegetables are covered, add more water if required. Simmer for about 10 minutes then add the peas and simmer until the asparagus is tender.
- Allow to cool a little then whizz in a blender. Add the soya milk, adjust the seasoning and reheat gently.
- Make the curly toast: lightly toast the bread and then cut the crusts off. Split each slice through the centre of the toast and cut into triangles. Toast the uncooked side of the bread under the grill and serve warm with the soup.