These tasty and colourful mini-quiches make great starters for a dinner party extravaganza.
- 340g (12 oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 170g (6 oz) margarine
- water to bind
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium courgettes
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 lb (450g) tofu
- ½ pkt Redwoods cheatin’ bacon, chopped small - optional
- 1 level dssp mixed herbs
- 1½ dssp tomato puree
- 1 level tsp salt
- generous pinch black pepper and ginger
- 1½ pack of vegan cheese
- enough soya milk to make a paste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. First make the pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough water to make a dough which is soft, but not sticky. If possible place in a plastic bag in the fridge for ½ an hour.
3. Roll out the pastry and use a cutter (about 2.75 inch) to cut the pastry into rounds. Place them all onto a bun tray and bake for 10 minutes to set the pastry.
4. Now make the filling: chop the onions fairly fine; and chop the courgettes and red pepper small.
5. Fry the onions for a few minutes then add the courgettes and red pepper. Fry until they begin to soften.
6. Cube the tofu and chop the ‘bacon’ into bits. Add the tofu, ‘bacon’, herbs, tomato puree and condiments and fry a bit longer.
7. Take off the heat and add the cheese and enough soya milk to make a paste.
8. Place about a heaped teaspoon into each mini-quiche. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Makes about 50 delicious mini-quiches.