The essence of a cheese flavour is fat and salt: once you have made the sauce, taste and add a little more salt if you think it is needed. Serves 4-6: remember to save the leftovers and fridge/freeze them for later.
- 1 chopped onion
- Half a bag of frozen cauliflower (roughly 400-450g)
- 2 tbsp soy margarine
- 285ml of soy milk
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (or use a few handfuls of grated vegan cheese if you're feeling flush!)
- Bag of macaroni (roughly 500g)
- Cook the onion until soft in the margarine. Add the frozen cauliflower, then add the soy milk and bring to the boil before simmering.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more soy milk.
- Add the mustard, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast, to taste. Add more salt if necessary.
- As you're making the sauce, boil the macaroni in salted water until cooked. Drain and mix in with the sauce.