The essence of a cheese flavour is fat and salt: once you have made the sauce, taste and add a little more salt if you think it is needed. Serves 4-6: remember to save the leftovers and fridge/freeze them for later.
- 1 chopped onion
- Half a bag of frozen cauliflower (roughly 400-450g)
- 2 tbsp soy margarine
- 285ml of soy milk
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (or use a few handfuls of grated vegan cheese if you're feeling flush!)
- Bag of macaroni (roughly 500g)
- Cook the onion until soft in the margarine. Add the frozen cauliflower, then add the soy milk and bring to the boil before simmering.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more soy milk.
- Add the mustard, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast, to taste. Add more salt if necessary.
- As you're making the sauce, boil the macaroni in salted water until cooked. Drain and mix in with the sauce.
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.