Sometimes dinner is as easy as adding everything to a roasting tin and letting the oven do all the hard work. This simple traybake will be ready to serve in less than 45 minutes. I love serving it with wedges of lemon for a fresh contrast to the coconut milk.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 3cm (1in) cubes (about 500g/1lb 2oz prepared weight)
- handful of green beans, trimmed
- 200g (7oz) basmati rice
- 400ml (14fl oz) canned full-fat
- coconut milk
- 1 tbsp mild curry paste (ensure dairy free)
- generous pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Arrange the butternut squash and green beans in a deep roasting tin and scatter in the rice.
- In a jug, mix 200ml (7fl oz) cold water with the coconut milk and curry paste until combined. Pour this into the roasting tin, making sure it covers all of the ingredients. Cover with foil, then bake in the oven for 40–45 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Remove from the oven and carefully lift off the foil. Season with sea salt before serving.
This recipe also works well with frozen butternut squash, saving you peeling and chopping time. Frozen butternut squash is available from most supermarkets, and is a useful addition to your freezer.
Approximate cost* per portion: 54p
Five Ingredient Vegan by Katy Beskow (Quadrille £20) Photography ©Luke Albert
*Approximate cost calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of April 2020.