- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 250g (9oz) basmati rice
- 600ml (1 pint/2½ cups) hot vegetable stock
- 400g (14oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 generous handfuls of spinach leaves
- Juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- Generous handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Generous pinch of sea salt flakes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium–high heat and cook the onion for 2 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and chilli flakes and stir through for 1 minute.
- Pour in the rice and vegetable stock, reduce the heat to medium, then simmer for 8 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid the rice sticking.
- Add the chickpeas and spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the lemon juice and coriander. Season with sea salt.
Katy Beskow is a vegan food writer and author, cookery tutor and chef demonstrator. www.katybeskow.com @katybeskow