A grown-up chocolate cake; this one is definitely adults only!
- 4 level tbsp cocoa
- 8 oz (225g) soya margarine
- 1/2 pint (280ml) soya yoghurt
- 8 oz (225g) self raising wholemeal flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp arrowroot
- 8 oz (225g) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 3 oz (85g) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp whisky
- 2 oz (55g) vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 6 oz (170g) vegan chocolate
- 1 shot whisky
- 2 fl oz (60ml) orange juice
- 1/4 pint (140ml) soya cream
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
- Whisk all cake ingredients together and pour into two greased sandwich tins. Bake immediately for 30 minutes until well risen and a cocktail stick poked in comes out clean.
- Make the chocolate filling: mash the cocoa, icing sugar, whisky and margarine together. When the cake has cooled spread jam on one middle side and chocolate filling on the other. Sandwich together.
- Make the topping: melt the chocolate with the whisky and orange juice. Pour hot sauce over cake. Drizzle soya cream in a zigzag over the cake and serve.
From Rainbows & Wellies by Jackie Redding and Tony Weston