For gluten-free folks, there's an alternative recipe for these in the Gluten-free section. Hurrah, cupcakes for all!
- 14 fl oz (400ml) soya milk
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 5 fl oz (150ml) vegetable oil
- 9 1/2 oz (270g) caster sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (use organic or unwaxed)
- 2 rounded dssp ground flax seed
- 8 1/2 oz (240g) plain white flour
- 1 oz (30g) soya flour
- 1 oz (30g) cornflour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C/350F/Gas 4.
- Line your cupcake tins with 12 large cupcake cases.
- Place the soya milk, vinegar, oil, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and flax seed (if using) in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl measure the flours, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Give them a good stir to combine.
- Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well to combine (whisk if necessary). Do not overmix, stop as soon as the mixture looks evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Usually the cupcakes need turning halfway through baking time, but if your oven bakes super-evenly, there is no need. if you turn them, do it as quickly as possible so that the oven door is not open for too long.
Omit lemon zest.
Just use 1/2 tsp vanilla or if prefered, omit it completely.