Gluten free and vegan? Yes, you CAN still have cake. Hurrah! This recipe makes 12 large cupcakes that are light with a melty texture. The flax seed can be omitted if you can't obtain it.
- 14 fl oz / 400 ml soya milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 5 fl oz / 150 ml vegetable oil
- 9 1/2 oz / 270g caster sugar
- 3 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (use organic or unwaxed lemons)
- 2 rounded dessertspoons ground flax seed
- 8 1/2 oz / 240 g rice flour
- 1 oz / 30 g soya flour
- 1 oz / 30 g cornflour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C/350F/Gas4.
- Line your cupcake tins with 12 large cupcake cases.
- Place the soya milk, vinegar, oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and flax seed (if using) in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl measure the flours, xanthan, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Give them a good stir to combine.
- Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well to combine (whisk if necessary). Do not overmix, stop as soon as the mixture looks evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Usually the cupcakes need turning halfway through baking time, but if your oven bakes super-evenly, there is no need. If you turn them, do it as quickly as possible so that the oven door is not open for too long.
Omit lemon zest.
Just use 1/2 tsp vanilla or, if preferred, omit it completely.
Recipe by Fairfoods.
Since you're here...
...please join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 120 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, access to a community of vegans and much more.