It can be hard to find a nut roast recipe without eggs, so this one's a lifesaver for vegans.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 small leek, finely chopped
- 6 oz (170g) nuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz (115g) cooked brown rice, drained (slightly overcook)
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 oz (55g) mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp dark tahini
- 1 tsp mustard
- Drop of vegetable stock or water
- Seasoning to taste
- Fry the leek off in the vegetable oil.Add the nuts, brown rice, carrot, mushrooms, tahini, yeast extract and mix well. The mixture should be thick and moist - if necessary, add a drop of stock or water.
- Season generously and spoon into a greased shallow tin, smooth the top.
- Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.