You'll notice this recipe calls for pesto. You can find ready-made vegan versions in the free-from aisle of many big supermarkets, in health food stores and online. If you fancy making your own, have a look at the quick and easy Pesto recipe in our Starters, snacks & sides section. Serves 4.
- 4 generous handfuls of seasonal vegetables
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 14 oz (400g) millet
- 1 1/2 pints (850ml) water or vegetable stock
- 2 heaped tbsp vegan pesto
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Large handful of nuts to garnish
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Over medium heat saute the onion in the oil until transparent. Add the millet grains and ensure that each one gets coated with the oil.
- Add the water or stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and continue to simmer until all the excess liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are tender. Add extra water if required but keep it to a minimum.
- Add the pesto, tomato puree and half the lemon juice. Adjust seasoning and add extra lemon juice if necessary. Serve and garnish with the nuts of your choice.