Full of nutty goodness, this is a much healthier - and kinder - version of a Greek classic. Enjoy!
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large aubergine, 1/2 cm slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 oz (115g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegan red wine - optional
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 3 oz (85g) walnuts, chopped
- 1 oz (30g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (30g) wholemeal flour
- 1/2 pint (275ml) soya milk
- Extra walnuts to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry slices of aubergine on both sides, then drain on paper towels. Set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and saute the onions for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes, puree, wine (if used) and herbs and cook gently until a sauce forms. Add walnuts, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. If necessary, add a drop more oil, vegetable stock or tomato puree mixed with water.
- Put the remaining oil, flour and soya milk into a saucepan and whisk continuously over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes until thick and smooth.
- Lightly grease a shallow oven-proof dish. Arrange half the aubergine slices across its base, top with half the nut mixture and then half the white sauce. Repeat.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top with extra nuts halfway through cooking time.