Whatever the main event on your vegan Christmas table, this deliciously sweet side may just steal the show.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or other vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 large red cabbage
- 1 medium cooking apple
- 1-2 pints (0.5l - 1l apple juice)
- Maple syrup/sugar - optional
- Fry the onions in the oil until soft.
- Finely shred the cabbage and core and chop the apple. Add to the pan and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the apple juice. Don't cover the cabbage, put enough to cover quarter to half of it, otherwise you get too much juice. Add more later if necessary.
- Cook until the cabbage is tender, stirring every few minutes. This will take about an hour. If necessary, sweeten to taste with maple syrup or sugar.