We'd better not pretend that this is a healthy dessert option just because it features fruit - I'm sure it still counts as one of your five a day though, right?
- 6 large pears, peeled and left whole
- 1.3 pints (75cl) vegan white wine
- 4 oz (115g) sugar
- 4 cloves
- 1 cardamom, seeds removed
- Pared lemon peel
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 oz (115g) plain chocolate
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 fl oz (110ml) water
- Put the pears in a pan with the remaining ingredients. Add water if necessary, to cover, bring to boil and simmer uncovered for an hour or until tender but still hold their shape.
- Lift out and put in a bowl. Reduce the syrup, then pour over the pears.
- Melt all the chocolate sauce ingredients gently together. Place pears in individual bowls, drizzle over chocolate sauce and serve.
Recipe from Green Cuisine: Favourite Restaurant Dishes, by Daphne Lambert.