Becoming Vegan (Comprehensive Edition) by Brenda Davis & Vesanto Melina (Paperback)
Health authorities regard well-planned vegan diets as safe and adequate for people at all stages of the life-cycle, including those with unique nutritional needs, such as athletes. Furthermore, research has confirmed that vegan diets protect against many chronic diseases and are remarkably effective in treating these conditions.
Becoming Vegan: Comprehensive Edition, by internationally acclaimed vegan dietitians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, presents the latest scientific findings on plant-based diets and:
- Explores the health benefits of vegan diets compared to other dietary choices
- Explains protein and amino acid requirements at various stages of life
- Describes fats and essential fatty acids and their value in plant-based diets
- Investigates carbohydrate facts and fallacies
- Reveals the truth about wheat, gluten and grains
- Pinpoints where to obtain calcium, iron, zinc and other minerals without animal products
- Clarifies the importance of obtaining adequate and reliable sources of vitamin B12
- Shows how to attain optimal nutrition during pregnancy and lactation
- Provides nutritional guidelines for infants, children, teens, and adults, including seniors
- Outlines how to achieve and maintain healthy weights and exceptional fitness on a vegan diet.
Completely revised, this seminal classic offers fresh insights into how a vegan diet positively affects individuals, animals, and our fragile planet. Becoming Vegan: Comprehensive Edition is an indispensable reference for health professionals and nutrition enthusiasts, setting the standard for vegan nutrition and providing a meticulous overview of the research.