A vegan version of an absolute cake classic - your granny will love it!
- 6 oz / 170g margarine
- 1 lb / 450g plain flour
- 8 oz / 225g currants
- 8 oz / 225g raisins
- 4 oz / 115g cherries, halved
- 4 oz / 115g whole, blanched almonds
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 8 oz / 225g soft brown sugar
- 1/2 pint / 280 fl oz soya milk, warmed
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp malt vinegar
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3.
- Rub together the margarine and flour. Stir in the currants, raisins, cherries, almonds, mixed spice and soft brown sugar.
- Put the warm milk in a large bowl and sprinkle on the bicarbonate of soda, then add the malt vinegar. Beat all the ingredients together quickly.
- Place in an 8 inch round cake tin, greased & lined. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 2 1/2 hours.