How retro is this? No vintage themed party or fair would be complete without one of these as a centrepiece.
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup demerara or brown sugar
- One can pineapple slices
- Maraschino cherries
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small pot melt the margarine and add the sugar. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves remove from the heat and set aside.
- Grease and flour a 10” spring form pan very well. Pour the melted margarine and sugar mixture into the bottom of the spring form pan making sure to spread it evenly across the bottom. Then place pineapple rings on top of the sugar mixture. Put a maraschino cherry inside the hole of each ring.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the canola oil, soy milk, applesauce and vanilla extract. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapple slices. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Let the cake completely cool before removing the outer ring. Once you have removed the outer ring, gently invert onto a serving platter and remove the bottom of the spring form pan to reveal the pineapples.
- Note: Some of the margarine may leak out of the spring form pan so place a piece of foil underneath and turn the edges up so If anything does leak out it will leak onto the foil and not onto the bottom of your oven. This can also be done in a round cake tin that has sides of at least 3” high.
Claire Gosse is the author of the vegan cookbook series Are You Sure That's Vegan? Claire also runs VeganCooking.com