Nothing figuratively 'vanilla' about this real vanilla vegan treat!
- 7 oz / 200g self raising flour
- 3 level tsp baking powder
- 4 oz / 115g sugar
- 4 1/2 fl oz / 125 ml vegetable oil
- 11 1/2 fl oz / 325 ml cold water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 oz / 85g vegan margarine
- 6 oz / 170g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Divide the mixture between two well greased round tins.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Take out of oven and leave to cool.
- Make the filling by mashing all the filling ingredients together.
- Use some of this to sandwich the cakes together and the rest to decorate the top
- Alternatively sandwich together with jam and dust the top with icing sugar.