This isn't one of our easier recipes but it's certainly worth the effort. The refreshing tang of the lemon makes this a beautifully light start to any three-course dinner.
- 6 lemons
- 1 packet creamed coconut
- 1/4 pint orange juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 sheets of nori seaweed (sushi seaweed)
- Lolla Rosso lettuce
- 18 oatcakes
- Lemon jelly dressing
- Sprig of herbs
- Cut a small slice off the bottom of the lemons so they will stand up. Throw away the bottom. Cut a larger slice off the top of the lemon, enough so the lemon can be scraped out. Keep the tops.
- Scrape out all the lemon from the inside, so that just the shell of the lemon remains. Keep the lemon you have removed.
- Chop up the creamed coconut and add the orange juice, melt in a microwave or in a saucepan (take care not to burn) for a few minutes until soft then blend together with a spoon.
- Add 2 fl oz lemon juice from the inside of the lemons and a pinch of salt.
- Put creamed coconut in the freezer or fridge to chill for about an hour until it stiffens, stir vigorously. When coconut is thoroughly chilled it should be the consistency of cream cheese or hummus: add more lemon juice if too stiff.
- Toast seaweed on hob or over a flame. Toast for a few seconds on each side until green and translucent. Crumble up into the creamed coconut and mix thoroughly.
- Fill each lemon 'shell' with mousse until overflowing, put lemon top back on top of mousse. Serve on bed of lettuce and lemon jelly dressing with olives, oat cakes and a sprig of herbs.