Work with us
Random fact alert: The Vegan Society is an anagram of The Nicest Voyage. Quite fitting, we think, as for many people veganism is a journey - and a pretty remarkable one at that. Regardless of where you are on your vegan journey, our staff are on hand to make it easier, healthier and more fun. And if you think you'd be great at helping others with this, read on, as this may be right up your street.
Who we're looking for
As individuals, we have a somewhat eclectic mix of skills, passions and idiosyncrasies...but it works. Probably because we all have one thing in common: we believe we’re onto something really special - so as long as you're as enthusiastic about veganism as we are, we'd love to hear from you. If you're looking for a challenge and can demonstrate that you have the required skills and enthusiasm, we welcome your prospective CVs and cover letters. Please send them all to recruitment[at]vegansociety[dot]com. Due to the volume of emails received we cannot acknowledge individual submissions, but if we have any relevant vacancies coming up we may contact you. Thank you.
In November 2014 The Vegan Society celebrated its 70th Anniversary. In 2015 we aim to significantly expand our campaigns, advocacy, policy and education work. The Vegan Society makes veganism a more accessible and easily adopted approach by supporting individuals, policy and decision makers, caterers, manufacturers, health care professionals and the media. Can you help us raise our profile through nutrition and health campaigns?
Working within the Advocacy & Policy team, the main responsibility of the Dietitian is to influence and lobby for change at practical and policy level within the UK and EU. Other duties include, but are not limited to:
• Working with the BDA – the Association of UK Dietitians, nutritionists and other health care professionals and providers to ensure access to adequate information about vegan health and nutrition
• Changing the purchasing decisions of institutional food service providers in the public and private sector
• Developing and analysing plant-based recipes and menus for schools that meet the requirements
• Giving presentations for institutional food service providers and health professionals
• Developing strategic partnerships with players in the food industry and other relevant bodies to advocate greater provision of healthy vegan options within society, as well as enhanced and authoritative information provision about vegan diets and lifestyles
• Using case studies from individuals of all walks of life (age, life stage, level of fitness including vegan athletes), and clinical and other research evidence to advocate UK and EU policy changes at all levels.
• Contributing to blogs, op-eds, press releases, and other marketing pieces to keep the vegan health, nutrition and equality campaign front and centre within the food industry.
You must be a registered dietitian on the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) register. A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited institution in nutrition and/or dietetics, with experience in commercial food service operations, public institutions or school nutrition programmes would be preferred.
This role requires willingness and ability to travel, knowledge and confidence to single-handily address staff and executives at major institutions, along with the ability to give presentations to large audiences. Other important skills include: knowledge about factory farming and a commitment to the goals of The Vegan Society.
What we offer:
• Annual professional membership of a relevant body
• A fun and supportive team
• A solution-focused atmosphere and a dedicated working environment
• Flexible working hours, and remote working considered
• Employee Assistance Programme and health cash-back scheme
• Cycle-to-work scheme
• Childcare vouchers scheme
• Animal companion compassionate leave
• 25 Days leave + 8 Bank Holidays
• Office location in the sought-after Jewellery Quarter of Birmingham
This role is full-time, salaried at £23,000 a year depending on experience. The role is for two years with the possibility of extension, and is based at our offices in the Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham, though remote working may be considered. Please send a cover letter and CV by 23rd March 2015 to recruitment[at]vegansociety[dot]com.
Would you like to promote veganism in your neighbourhood and local area?
Local Contact Volunteer
The Vegan Society is seeking Local & Group Contacts to represent the Society across the UK. If you are enthusiastic, motivated and love meeting new people and encouraging new vegans, then please email us and let us know.
The Vegan Society would not be as successful as it is today without the help of hundreds of volunteers.
Our volunteers play a huge role in helping us achieve our aims. But it's not all about us, volunterring is great for you too. Amongst other things, volunteering helps boost your CV, gain relevant experience, builds your confidence and you get to meet new people. Sound good? Find out more about volunteering with The Vegan Society by emailing us.