Chilli con carne generates 9.3 times more CO2e than sweet potato and white bean chilli, and steak and chips generates 16.3 times more CO2e.
From Jamie Oliver
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large onion
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 red peppers
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 x 400 grams tin of cannellini beans
- 1 x 400 grams tin of tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato, place in a roasting tray, then toss with 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch each of the cinnamon, cumin and paprika.
- Spread out in an even layer, then roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion. Pick the coriander leaves, then finely chop the stalks. Roughly chop the chilli, then deseed and chop the peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan, then add the onion, coriander stalks, chilli and peppers along with the remaining spices.
- Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the cannellini beans with their liquid, and the tinned tomatoes. Stir, adding a splash of water to loosen, if needed. Simmer for 30 minutes. 8. Stir in the sweet potatoes along with most of the coriander leaves. Season to taste and top with the rest of the coriander leaves. Serve over cooked rice with some guacamole on the side, if you like.