Our policy work
The Vegan Society’s Campaigns and Policy team works with policy makers on issues including sustainable agriculture, climate change, and public sector provision.
In particular, our policy work currently focusses on:
- Encouraging more vegan provision in public-sector institutions
- Securing more support for plant protein crop production
- Measures to protect the legal rights of vegans
In recent years we have had a presence at the Autumn political party conferences with exhibition stands and fringe events. Check back here nearer the time for details of this year's activities. If you'd like to collaborate with us email: policy[at]vegansociety[dot]com.
Find our current policy briefings here:
- Grow Green
- Catering for Everyone in Scotland
- Catering for Everyone in Wales
- Land Management in Wales
- Climate Emergency
If you work for an elected representative, feel free to write to us for evidence on vegan-related issues at policy[at]vegansociety[dot]com
If you are a local campaigner, feel free to share relevant briefings with your local politicians, and send any feedback to campaigns[at]vegansociety[dot]com
All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Vegetarianism and Veganism
The Vegan Society sponsors this parliamentary group along with V for Life. We bring guest speakers to parliament to discuss a range of issues including institutional catering provision, veganism as a protected belief, the impact of diet on climate change, and product labelling.
The Group’s Officers are:
- Christina Rees MP
- Kerry McCarthy MP
- Henry Smith MP
- Baroness Hussein-Ece
- Thangam Debbonaire MP
- Alex Sobel MP
Get involved: see the APPG's website here.
Recently, we have responded to these consultations:
- Labour Sustainable Food Policy Consultation
- Good Food Nation consultation response
- UK Government consultation on the future of food, farming and the environment.
- Brexit and our land: securing the future of Welsh farming.
- National Food Strategy Consultation.
- Northern Ireland Nutritional Standards for School Food