Delicious and warming, this dessert is great straight from the oven with vegan custard, cream or ice cream.
- 1 lb (445g) cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz (115g) vegan margarine
- 4 oz (115g) raw cane sugar
- 4 oz (115g) sultanas
- 2 oz (57g) candied peel
- 2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbs boiling water
- 8 oz (225g) wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- Cook the apples in the minimum of water. When they are soft, mash to a puree and drain very well.
- Cream together the margarine and the sugar, then add the apple purée to make a thick mixture. Stir in the fruit.
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add this to the mix. Sift together the flour and spices and mix in.
- Pour it into a very well greased cake tin, smooth the top and bake at 350ºF/180ºC/Gas Mark 4 for 45 mins to an hour.