This rich and delicious cake will fool you into thinking it's completely sinful but it actually contains no added fat and is low on processed sugar. If you're feeling a bit naughty you could always add marzipan or icing, although that would up the sugar content.
- 8 oz (250g) dates
- 8 fl oz (240ml) water
- 3 oz (85g) plain wholemeal flour
- 3 oz (85g) plain white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 12 oz (340g) mixed dried fruit
- 4 oz (115g) chopped dried apricots
- 3 oz (85g) mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tbsp rum
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F/gas mark 4.
- Place the dates and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook gently for five minutes or until soft. Mash, then add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 2lb/900g cake tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours.
- To give this a Christmas touch put half the mixture in the tin, then a thin layer of marzipan, and place the rest of the mixture on top and bake. This way the marzipan melts into the cake and is delicious. Alternatively put marzipan and white icing on the top in the traditional way.
Keep in a cool place for up to a week.