With the magical discovery of aquafaba, vegan meringues that taste just like the real thing are everywhere. Enjoy experimenting with bean-juice!
- One can of chickpeas (certain brands work best - try Lidl)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Caster sugar (roughly 4floz, aka 120g)
- Preheat your oven to 120C.
- Put greaseproof paper onto a baking tray and wipe with a small amount of vegetable oil – this will stop the meringues sticking to the paper
- Drain can of chickpeas, catching the bean water ('aquafaba') into a measuring jug
- Measure out the same volume of caster sugar to aquafaba into a separate bowl
- Pour the aquafaba into a large, clean bowl – bigger bowls are better, you want lots of room to add volume
- Add 1 tsp of cream of tartar
- Beat the mixture with an electric hand whisk until it looks white and glossy
- Optional – you can add 1 tsp of vanilla or other flavouring at this stage
- Add the sugar slowly whilst still mixing
- It will start to thicken up and develop a sticky marshmallow consistency which holds stiff peaks
- Using a tablespoon place blobs of mixture on the baking tray – leave about an inch between blobs
- When the oven has reached temperature put the meringue in
- Cook for an hour
- After an hour check the meringue, they should be a little golden and *just* firm to the touch and not tacky or sticky
- If they are still sticky, check at 10 minute intervals
- When they are done turn the oven off and leave the meringue in to cool – preferably overnight.
- Get a can of coconut milk where the white has separated from the clear liquid (KTC or Pride are brands that do this)
- Scoop out the white part into a bowl and stir gently – it should have a thick texture
- Top meringues with coconut cream and serve with fruit
Did you like this recipe? Please donate to us so we can continue bringing you innovative recipes such as this; you can also do so by texting VEGN44 followed by your donation sum (e.g. £5) to 70070.
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.