Carbon emissions: 0.55kg per serving
By Katy Beskow, from 15 Minute Vegan Comfort Food
Aubergine soaks up the wonderful flavours of oregano and cinnamon in this moreish cassoulet. Serve straight to the table in its cooking pot for a simple, rustic meal. A true crowd-pleaser.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine, cut into even bite-sized cubes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red (bell) pepper, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp green olives
- 400g can butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a high heat, then add the aubergine, oregano, mixed herbs and cinnamon. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the onion and red pepper, and cook for a further 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, 150ml of water and ketchup, followed by the olives and butter beans.
- Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes,
- stirring occasionally.
- Scatter with the parsley and season with sea salt just before serving.