Carbon emissions: 0.83kg per serving
By Aimee Ryan of Wallflower Kitchen
- I tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced into discs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g button mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 350ml dairy-free milk
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 roll vegan puff pastry
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan on medium heat. Fry the leeks and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, herbs, salt and pepper and stir for a minute. Place the lid on top and cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the dairy-free butter on medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined. Slowly add in the milk, a tablespoon at a time and whisk, until you have a smooth thick mixture. Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cooked leeks and mushrooms with the sauce and leave to cool completely.
- Make sure your puff pastry is at room temperature (if using frozen, leave at room temperature overnight) and preheat the oven to 200C.
- Add the leek and mushroom mixture to a pie dish and top with the puff pastry, cutting off any excess pastry around the edges.
- Crimp the edges using a fork and score a criss-cross pattern on the top with a sharp knife. Finally, dip a pastry brush in a little dairy-free milk and brush the top of the pie, to help it brown.
- Cook for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve straight away.