An easy to make burger bursting with flavour.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup (75g) diced red onion
- 1/2 cup (90g) diced red pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-15 oz can black beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 minced chipotle peppers
- 1/4 cup (45g) sweetcorn
- 3 tbsp mashed pumpkin
- 1 cup (90g) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (65g) chopped pecans (optional if you are avoiding nuts)
- Dice red onion, red pepper and mince garlic. Heat the oil over a medium heat then add garlic, onion, red pepper and sweetcorn then sauté for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and pat dry. Place in a deep bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash about half the beans and leave the other half whole. Then add the pumpkin, cooked vegetable mixture, chipotle peppers, pecans, breadcrumbs and cumin. Mix well until all ingredients are combined to desired consistency. Note, if mixture is too dry you can add a little more pumpkin. Using hands, form into four large patties and refrigerate.
- Heat grill medium high heat. Brush grill with oil then place burgers on the grill. Cook for approx. 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove and serve immediately on your favorite vegan roll. Enjoy!
Other toppings include avocado spread , fresh roasted tomato, caramelized onion or your favorite burger toppings. Garnish with Kosher Dill pickle.
Salt and pepper to taste
Recipe adapted from Rob Badach at Callicoon Kitchen