Pancakes are an easy breakfast treat. These are enchanted with the nutritional power of beans and full of whole-grain goodness! Try them with the chai-spiced peach compote for an over-the-top experience.
- 1 cup (120g) whole wheat pastry flour/plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (269g) cooked white beans or 1 can (425g), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk (vanilla, if possible)
- 1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats
- 2 tbsp (28ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (26g) sugar or (40g) agave nectar
- 1 tbsp (14g) ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tbsp (28ml) warm water (this is optional: you can use three tbsp of whisked aquafaba instead)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Peach compote ingredients
- 5 peaches
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Sweetener of your choice, to taste
- To prepare the dry ingredients, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- To prepare the wet ingredients, add all the ingredients to a food processor and purée. Add the purée to the dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. You can cook a few at a time, but make sure not to crowd them in the pan. Cook until you can see a few bubbles on the top and the edges are dry, then flip and cook a few minutes more until the pancake is cooked through.
To prepare the peach compote: Cut the peaches in half, remove the stone, and remove the peel. Cut into small pieces. Add all of the compote ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the fruit is cooked through.
This recipe is adapted from The Great Vegan Bean Book.