Delicious as a soup but you could also try this as a curry sauce. Simply make it a bit thicker, add some fresh veggies and serve over rice. Two recipes for the price of one! Serves 6.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups (660g / 1 lb 7 oz) sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 3/4 cups (400ml / 14 fl oz) canned reduced-fat coconut milk
- 4 1/3 cups (1l / 1¾ pints) vegan stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, heat the oil over a medium–high heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the curry paste and salt and cook, stirring, for a further minute or so. Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Purée the soup, either in batches in a blender or food processor or using a hand-held blender. Return the soup to the heat and bring back up to a simmer. Just before serving, stir in the lime juice.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander.
Recipe from Vegan: 100 Everyday Recipes, part of Parragon's range of Love Food cookbooks.