- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into short, slender strips
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tins of diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons smoked or sweet paprika, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or coriander, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot cooked rice or another grain, optional
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and saute over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and green pepper, and continue to saute until all are touched with golden spots.
2. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, paprika, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the parsley or coriander and season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve in bowls on its own or over a small amount of hot cooked rice or another grain, if desired. Pass around some extra parsley or coriander for garnishing each serving.
Serves 6-8 / Approximate cost* per portion: 49p.
Recipe taken from Vegan on a Budget by Nava Atlas (Sterling Publishing).
*Approximate cost based on 8 servings and calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of December 2021.