Serves 4 people
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 300g dried macaroni
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 medium carrot (chopped/diced)
- 100g cashew nuts
- 100ml aquafaba (juice from 1 can of chickpeas)
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- ½ leek (washed and diced)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 bunch of fresh chives (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Place carrot and 60g cashews in a pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Cook for 20 minutes until soft.
- Heat oil and sauté onions, leeks and garlic in a pan until soft.
- Separate cauliflower into florets. Boil macaroni and cauliflower separately, until al dente.
- Drain carrots and cashews, reserving water. Add carrots, cashews, aquafaba, corn flour, coconut oil and nutritional yeast flakes to a blender, blend until a smooth creamy texture. Add reserved water as needed, season with salt and pepper.
- Combine mixture with the onions, leek, garlic and chives and mix well.
- Combine the cauliflower and macaroni and coat with the creamy sauce mixture. Place in a casserole dish.
- Combine 40g crushed cashews, breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast flakes and sprinkle over the macaroni and cauliflower mix.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180◦C for 10-15 minutes until topping has browned.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped chives and serve with a side of your choice.
Photo credit: Hannah Hossack-Lodge, https://domesticgothess.com/