Every cook needs a basic chocolate cake recipe. Once you've mastered this one, have fun playing about with different toppings and flavour combinations.
- 6 oz (175g) self raising flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1 oz (25g) cocoa
- 3 oz (75g) sugar
- 4 1/2 fl oz (125ml) melted vegan margarine
- 11 1/2 fl oz (325ml) cold water
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Divide the mixture between two well greased round tins.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make chocolate or coffee flavour "butter" icing using 6 oz (170g) of sieved icing sugar to 3 oz (85g) vegan margarine, plus flavouring. Use some of this to sandwich the cakes together, and the rest to decorate the top. Add plain chocolate drops, grated chocolate, chocolate covered coffee beans, vegan "cream", alcohol etc as desired!
For other flavoured sponges use - for example - lemon juice and rind or vanilla instead of cocoa.
Looking for more recipes? This vegan twist on a timeless dessert makes our vegan vanilla sponge cake recipe a classic, whether you are celebrating a birthday or just fancy a sweet treat!