Mmmm, the ideal comfort food for a cold, winter's day. Perfect served with homemade crusty bread.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups (1 pint / 570ml) vegetable stock or water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sugar - optional, to taste
- 7/8 cups (4 oz / 115g) ground almonds
- 2/3 - 7/8 cups (5-7 fl oz / 150-200ml) soya cream
- Fry the garlic for a minute or two in the oil. Add the tins of tomatoes, including liquid, and stir. Add the stock or water and bring to the boil, then cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper (include a teaspoon of sugar if it tastes too tart) and cook for 5 more minutes. Meanwhile, lightly toast the almonds.
- Blend the soup, return to pan, add the toasted almonds and cream.
- Stir well, heat through and check seasoning.