A comfort food classic with a twist from the wonderful Tiff Williams of @veganattiffs.
- 850 g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 30 g vegan butter
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 450 g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tin green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml vegetable stock
TIP: Find all-purpose seasoning in the World Foods section of your local supermarket, or in Asian and African/Caribbean shops
- Boil the sweet potatoes in a pot until soft (roughly 25 minutes). Once soft, mash them with the butter and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Meanwhile, add the oil to a large, deep pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry them until they are fragrant. Then add the carrots and celery, and fry for a further 3 minutes. Then add the mushrooms along with the dried thyme, all-purpose seasoning, salt and pepper (to taste). Continue to stir throughout and allow to fry for another 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils and peas to the pan. After 2 minutes, add the tomato paste and vegetable stock, mixing it all together. Allow everything to simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Butter your baking dish, and transfer the mushroom and lentil mix into it. Top it off with the mashed sweet potato.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 25 minutes and allow it to cool before serving.